Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Factors that hinder spiritual progress - Carnality

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;
1Co 3:3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?
1Co 3:4 For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not carnal?

Paul writing to the Corinthian Church identifying causes for lack of spiritual growth. Carnality being clearly addressed in the above verses. Its quite clear from the above verses that when a person is carnal they will not be able to handle solid food or what the bible reffers to has meat. Paul started ministry to this church with milk and his reasons are clear in verse 2.

I find this to be true in my own life, many times we are unable to understand the deeper things of the Lord, simply because we are not ready. Time is passing by , and we are still not ready. What a colosal loss ! Could it be the Lord wants to me to enter into an understanding of new things, but those sins that hinder spiritual progress

(Rom 8:7) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

Paul has listed a few sins that are symptoms of carnality. Other symptoms of carnality can be found in

(Gal 5:19) Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
(Gal 5:20) idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,
(Gal 5:21) envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Lord I want to be willing to remove carnality from my life so that I can know you more, so that I can be a blessing to your body and worship you in spirit and in truth.

No comments: